Viruses Don't Discriminate
It's easy during fearful times to say or do things that diminish groups of people. We cannot allow that within our Horned Frog community.
Avoid the traps of stigma and xenophobia
Pandemics don’t discriminate—and neither should we. Stigma does nothing to fight the spread of COVID-19. Only the sharing of accurate information will do that. Don’t fall into the language of racism. Calling COVID-19 the “Wuhan Virus” or “China Virus” is inaccurate and xenophobic.
Share the Facts About COVID-19
Know the facts about coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) and help stop the spread of rumors.
TCU strives to uphold its values of academic achievement, personal freedom and integrity while maintaining its heritage of inclusiveness, responsible citizenship and service. We believe every community member should be treated with dignity and respect. Actions or comments that may be perceived as offending these values hinder our scholarly community in the pursuit of knowledge, enlightenment and realization of each individual’s potential. Actions or comments that express or imply a bias against any group within our community—singled out by race, color, religion, gender, nationality or any other classification—are never acceptable in the TCU family.
The university’s mission to educate individuals to think and act as ethical leaders and responsible citizens in the global community involves the commitment and guidance of the entire TCU populace.
TCU’s Anti-Discrimination Policy and Reporting Resources:
- Race and COVID-19
- Accurate ways to talk about COVID-19 (Yale School of Medicine)
- Reducing Stigma (CDC)
- Try Distant Socializing Instead (Stanford News)
- On Trauma-Informed Teaching (DiversityEdu)
- Coronavirus Is Prompting Alarm (The Chronicle of Higher Education)
- COVID-19 Pandemic Highlights Inequities (The Chronicle of Higher Education)
- Don’t Forget About Graduate Students (The Chronicle of Higher Education)
- COVID-19 Erases Line Between Work and Home (The Chronicle of Higher Education)
- The COVID-19 DEI Crisis Strategy Guide (National Inclusive Excellence Leadership Academy)
Page Last Updated: June 15, 2020