Committee Strategic Initiatives
The IPREP Committee is charged with identifying current interprofessional opportunities within and between the Harris College of Nursing and Health Sciences (HCNHS) and other TCU colleges. Further, the committee will look for and develop IPE research and curriculum development opportunities.
HCNHS STRATEGIC INITIATIVE #1: Excellence in Teaching & Scholarship
Goal: Expand infrastructure to support faculty scholarship.
IPREP Goal 1: To have at minimum one faculty member within HCNHS working on IPE scholarship or dissemination of IPE work.
- Identify all faculty within the HCNHS who may be preparing a publication or working on a research project that involves IPE.
- Identify all faculty within the HCNHS who may be preparing a conference or meeting presentation, poster, or workshop that involves IPE.
- Prepare an RFP for an IPE activity and/or research with faculty stipend for the 2019 – 2020 year (it will be sent in Spring 2019).
IPREP Goal 2: Determine where IPE is housed within each program, specifically by course and instructor and identify gaps where IPE may be needed within programs or the College.
- Map out IPE activities within all programs–where is it embedded, what is required for annual participation, how is it documented (is IPE an add-on or integrated within the curriculum) and assessed and combine all information into one document for review by the committee.
- Departments determine what existing IPE- type programs they will participate in
- With knowledge of the gaps in IPE, departments work within the College to determine what new IPE initiatives are needed or desired and the time frame by which they may be developed i.e., concussion case (in progress) and human trafficking or disaster day are examples that have been suggested
HCNHS STRATEGIC INITIATIVE #2: Transformational Community Engagement
Goal: Faculty and students will have opportunities to develop Interprofessional (IP) competencies through innovative collaborative experiences connecting them to the Dallas - Fort Worth Community.
IPREP Goal 3: Using the information from above about IPE gaps, the Committee will determine where partnerships are needed within HCNHS departments or with other TCU programs.
- Identify where HCNHS departments are already working together or with other partners and document that information for each department into one HCNHS document.
- Secondarily, identify where students are doing activities within the community at clinical or non-clinical sites and specifically document what activities they are doing, time involved, and what populations they are working with. Could more be done with these sites around IPE?
- Once activities are determined, compile a wish list from each department of what populations or settings their students could use experience or exposure to.
- Through the development of a new case or desired new case/activity, determine what partnerships are desired or needed and work as a committee to develop those and document that as part of the process for development.
- Develop a timeline and wish list for what types
- Using the same RFP as listed for IPREP Goal #1–could also provide the needed partnership and stipend for activities identified for this goal.
IPREP Goal 4:Using the information from above about IPE gaps, the Committee will determine where partnerships are needed between HCNHS departments and community partners.
- Identify where HCNHS departments are already working with other partners and document that information for each department into one HCNHS document.
- Review information gathered for Goal 3 to determine what can be applied or what is needed as opportunities are sought with community partners.
- Establish a series of forums with community partners (who may have been identified through earlier steps to (a) strengthen or establish relationships and (b) determine their specific needs.
- Look at service events that departments are engaging in to determine where there could be overlap or opportunities for other departments and determine if there is a way to have one HCNHS based event for the entire College per year.
- Talk with HARC to determine what they are doing with Harris Fellows around service activities since this already involves more than one department.
HCNHS STRATEGIC INITIATIVE #3: World Class Learning Environment
Goal: Provide state of the art instructional and research technology to support student learning experiences.
IPREP Goal: Provide resources to support faculty and student interprofessional learning experiences which lead to the development of core competencies and meet programmatic accreditation requirements.
- Identified in Goal #2, determine where IPE activities are occurring within the curriculum for each department and how those are being measured or assessed.
- Determine if departments are identifying specific IPE learning outcomes or aligning with the IPEC competencies to assist with accreditation requirements or with learning outcomes.
- Create a plan for future faculty development to be sure that faculty are competent to provide IP education
- Create a plan for implementation of Team STEPPS across HCNHS and identify how it is integrated into each department (specifically what class, by whom, and how it is further used throughout the program)
- Develop a HCNHS wide plan for IPE implementation and assessment over the course of the strategic plan.