Skip to main content

Student Access & Accommodation

Main Content

Emotional Support Animal Checklist

    1. Schedule an Intake Interview with a Disabilities Specialist;
    2. Obtain the Emotional Support Animal Registration Form;
    3. Obtain SAA Office’s Policies and Procedures, Acknowledgment of Procedures, and Release of Information Forms.

Notify the TCU Office of Housing and Residence Life (HRL) that you are requesting an ESA as an accommodation in University housing.

  1. Assess whether you believe you are an individual with a mental health or psychiatric disability, and
  2. Whether you are willing to undertake the responsibilities which would arise if you are granted permission to have the animal in University housing.
  3. Review the TCU Emotional Support Animal Policies and Procedures.
  1. Advise that the professional should compose, sign and mail/fax/ or email a letter/documentation on the professional's letterhead directly to the SAA office.  
  2.  It is not appropriate for professionals to evaluate family members. The medical specialist must be an impartial individual not related to the student or parents nor in business partnership with the student or parents. 
  1. Please review the Mental Health Documentation Guidelines  for guidance on the information required.
  2. The documentation/letter must address each of the following items:
    • Verification that the student has a mental or psychiatric disability including a description of the student's functional limitations
    • When did you last treat this individual? When is your next scheduled appointment? Have you treated this student on a regular basis? How long have you been treating this student?
    • Verification that the animal is an ESA, i.e., that it provides emotional support that alleviates one or more of the identified symptoms or effects of the student’s existing mental or psychiatric disability.
    • Verification that the student can responsibly care for the ESA.
    • Information on whether the ESA has helped the student in the past, and if so, how.
  1. Take the animal to a veterinarian to receive all necessary shots and vaccinations. Obtain documentation from the veterinarian of this.
  2. Take a picture of the animal for identification.
  3. Decide on a person who would be an alternative caregiver for the animal, in case of emergency. Contact that person to make sure s/he is willing to fulfill that role. Caregiver must live in the DFW Metroplex and within 25 miles of the University, but not in TCU housing.
  1. Veterinarian documentation.
  2. The City of Fort Worth license or provide proof of microchip.
  3. The picture of the animal
  4. The completed and signed Emotional Support Animal Registration Form. (If you need assistance in completing the form, please schedule an appointment for a Disabilities Specialist to assist you).
  1. You may receive an email requesting additional documentation.
  2. Once the SAA office makes a decision, you will be notified by email to contact our office to schedule a follow up appointment.
  3. If any further follow up is needed (additional information, etc.) you will need to speak with a Disability Specialist to find out what is needed.
  1. This  meeting includes the TCU Disabilities Specialist, a member of the Housing and Residence Life (HRL) Leadership Team, and the student’s Hall Director (HD).
  2. The purpose of this meeting is to review final details regarding the ESA owner’s responsibilities and to review and sign the HRL Owner Statement, which serves as an addendum to the student’s contract with TCU HRL.
  3. The ESA’s identification (name and picture), City license, or provide proof of microchip, registration form, vaccination record, health history and emergency contact name and number will be given to the HRL Leadership team.
  4. The nature of the student’s disability is not disclosed to HRL and the student’s confidential information is not shared by Student Access and Accommodation.
  1. The Disability Specialist will prepare the Letter of Housing Accommodation and email a copy of it to the HRL Office.

  1. Veterinarian documentation.
  2. ESA Registration Form
  3. Signed Owner's Statement.
  4. The City license and or proof of microchip.
  5. The picture of the animal